This Week in Spring - January 3rd, 2017
Welcome to another installment of This Week in Spring ! We’re now squarely in 2017, and 0 as always - there is much to cover!
This is also the first week of the year. I note it with some pride because it also marks the 6th anniversary of the first installment of This Week in Spring , in January 2011, which I’ve since continued every Tuesday without fail come sickness, holiday, travel or otherwise. It’s been a heckuva run and I’m excited to see what will grace This Week in Spring in the next 6+ years! I’m eternally grateful for all the people (from the community and internal to VMWare and now Pivotal) that have contributed to This Week in Spring over the years! For the last 3+ years my friend and Pivotal’s own Pieter Humphrey has been an amazing help in making this happen, so thanks Pieter!
As usual, if you have things you would like to see added to This Week in Spring, then don’t hesitate to ping me on Twitter or ping me by email.
Now then, let’s get to it!
- Spring Framework lead and co-founder Juergen Hoeller just announced Spring Framework 4.0 M4
- Last week, I didn’t publish a new Spring Tips video (and nor will I tomorrow) since I’m on vacation ( This Week in Spring aside!) but I did look at resources every user should be aware to find educational content on all things Spring
Spring Integration and messaging ninja
Artem Bilan just announced Spring AMQP 1.7RC1
which includes new support for the Amqp Client 4.0, updates to Log4j 2.7, Spring Retry 1.2, new support in
spring-rabbit-junitfor convenient rules like
BrokerRunningand support for configuring how connections appear from the broker itself.
- the Asimio Tech blog has a few nice posts up of late. This one looks at centralizing configuration with the Spring Cloud Config Server
and this one looks at troubleshooting
timeouts with Spring’s
- take a peak at some of what we’re experimenting with around serverless function-type workloads in the recently announced but still very early days Spring Cloud Function project
- this is a short-and-sweet look at how to apply Craig Burke ’s Bower Gradle plugin to a Gradle-build (not really all that much to do with Spring Boot, despite the title, but interesting nonetheless)
- learn how to separate integration from unit tests through JUnit or Spring Boot
- this Japanese-language post looks at constructor injection in a Spring application
- Spring MVC ninja Rossen Stoyanchev hints that the Spring 5 web and reactive effort, informally referred to as Spring Reactive thus far, will get a name in early January
- this is an oldie but a goodie from Pivotal’s own David Julia, looking at how to write expressive REST APIs
- This seems to be a very cool (non-Pivotal) community for Chinese-language speakers using Spring Cloud complete with examples of its use in China. Very cool!
- Matt Raible wrote a really nice post detailing some useful tips when building Spring Boot and Angular.js applications with Stormpath
- I really enjoyed Bartosz Jedrzejewski’s blog looking at building Spring Boot applications with MongoDB
- this is a nice post that simply looks at how to stand up Spring Boot applications that listen on multiple ports
- Spring Data Neo4j lead Michael Hunger just updated a very nice example of using Neo4j’s Cypher language to communicate through a JDBC driver with Neo4j
- the Trying Things blog has a nice look at writing Cucumber tests with Spring Boot
- Karl Penzhorn did a nice job looking at how to build a simple CRUD application using Spring Boot, React, complete with security and user authentication
- I dig this Spanish-language look at building a Spring Boot-based web application that features all the usual goodies plus Actuator, Thymeleaf, and even the Spring Boot remote shell!
- the folks in the RedHat/JBoss Ininispan group just released some nice Infinispan Spring Boot starters data grid and Spring Boot