This Week in Spring - Tuesday, October 2nd, 2018
Whew! What a week! I’m exhausted! I’ve been running around visting one customer after another this week and it’s only Tuesday! My brain is still a smoldering hole from the craziness of last week’s epic SpringOne Platform 2018 event in Washington DC, and needless to say there’s a ton of new things to investigate and tons of videos to be available to the audience soon. This week is a wee bit more tame, so without further ado, let’s get to it!
I don’t know where you are in the world as you read this but I hope you’ll join me 17:00 BST, for my appearance at the vJUG where I’ll be looking at Bootiful Testing - join us!
- Spring Fu lead Sébastien Deleuze has put together a post illuminating some of the new features in Spring Fu and the brand Spring JaFu configuration style , which brings the originally Kotlin-only functional style to Java developers. I love the possibilities here! Dr. Dave Syer, never one to rest on his proverbial laurels, followed up with a Maven-based example that demonstrates Spring JaFu in action. NB: you’ll need to install an artifact in the master snapshots for this to work (at the moment)
- Spring Vault 2.1 GA released
- Wanna change the world? You’ve got to ACT! That’s what we’re doing at Pivotal, anyway. Ready on the learn more about our new initiative supporting humanitarian work!
- Spring Data Elasticsearch just merged a PR to switch to the high-level REST client ! Sweet nectar!
- Miss SpringOne Platform 2018 last week? Check out this rock-solid recap post from last week by Diógenes Rettori !
- What’s new in Spring Data Lovelace?
- What’s new in Spring Data Lovelace for MongoDB?
- Spring Security 5.1 goes GA
- The Reactive Revolution at SpringOne Platform 2018 (part 1/N)
- Spring Batch 4.1.0.RC1 is now available
- What’s new in Spring Data Lovelace for Redis and Apache Cassandra?
- This is a very cool post: Kotlin and MongoDB: a perfect match !
- Spring Data Lovelace & Neo4j-OGM 3.1.3 went GA – neo4j – Medium
This is pretty cool! It’s a
look at the
@SpringBootApplicationannotation from Spring Boot.
- Good news everyone! Heck, tons of good news! Last week Java 11 dropped and so Ben Hale and the Cloud Foundry Java buildpack team, ever busy, have already updated the Cloud Foundry Java buildpack to support Java 11 for you! Online buildpacks are available now, and offline buildpacks shortly. NB: Java 11 isn’t the default, but there’ll come a day when it might be so test your apps..!
- Check out some of the new features demonstrating the tight integration between Spring and Kotlin in the new IntelliJ release
- This is an interesting podcast episode of the “Talking Kotlin” podcast on the use of Kotlin and Spring by the folks working at Allegro, a giant ecommerce engine in Poland
- Yet another epic blog on the new features supporting Spring and Kotlin’s integration in IntelliJ
- Check out these interviews with me, among others, on sessions to attend at the upcoming Oracle Code One show
- I was lucky enough to be part of a JAXEnter panel discussion on the features and future of Java 11. Another installment, Does Java 11 tick all the right boxes , is out and well worth a read
- InfoQ have a nice post on the new (experimental) Reactive Relational Database Connectivity Driver project , R2DBC, Announced at SpringOne Platform 2018 last week. Check it out!
- Not related to Java, per se, but interesting nonetheless: Snyk have a nice post detailing some security practices for Apache Maven worth investigating .
- Excited about RSocket and Netifi? Check out their SpringOne Platform 2018 demo!
- There’s still lots of innovating happening at Netflix. I liked this post on their work around edge load balancing
- SpringOne Platform 2019 will be held in Austin, TX ! I’m so looking forward to this show already!
- Want to see a Spring Boot that, when built with Graal VM, can start in 0.005 seconds?
- Neo4j’s Michael Simons has just published an update on the support for Spring Data Neo4j in Spring Data Lovelace, which incorporates a Spring Data Neo4j revision that’s built on the Neo4j-OGM 3.1.3
- Check out this fantastic demo introducing CQRS using the Spring-powered Axon framework
- This post ages better every day, so allow me to repost.