This Week in Spring (7th Anniversary Edition) - Ja
Hi Spring fans! Welcome to another installment of This Week in Spring ! I hope you had a wonderful, safe and fruitful new year celebration.
This is the first roundup of the new year and so it is also the 7th year anniversary of my starting this column. Every Tuesday, without fail (come holiday, sick-day, flights or frights!), since the first week of January 2011, I’ve put together this roundup and it has been, and continues to be, an honor. As usual, I’m always happy to have feedback and suggestions from you, the most amazing community ever! Don’t hesitate to reach me on Twitter (@starbuxman) or by email.
Over time, the content covered in this blog has changed. I include things that the Spring ecosystem encompasses like NoSQL/big-data, cloud computing, web application discussions, Java in general, testing, and even some discussions of agile and culture. It’s a growing, living thing because Spring is itself an dynamic and organic project. I’ve started doing screencasts - eleven videos at a time for a “season” - called Spring Tips for a couple of years now, too. These join my books, training videos, talks, blogs, podcasts, and social media as avenues by which I try to bring Spring to an ever growing, inquiring and inspiring community. It’s such a privilege to work on something that I love and share that passion with others who also love it. Thank YOU.
Now, as usual, we’ve got a lot to cover, so let’s get to it.
- Check out CoreLogics’s Spring Cloud Data Flow-based case-study
- Spring Cloud ninja Ryan Baxter just announced Spring Cloud Dalston SR5 . There’s a lot to love here so get the bits now.
- this really detailed look on The Curious Developer blog at some of the new features in Spring Boot 2.0 is well-worth your attention. Great read.
- This seems interesting - Marco Behler has a video introducing Spring WebFlux , the reactive web runtime for Spring Framework 5.0.
- The Cloud Foundry Foundation Security Team has released a fix for a cross-site scripting CVE on Cloud Foundry. Upgrade now!
- I liked Oded Shopen’s post looking at Kubernetes versus Cloud Foundry, from a developer’s perspective .
- I liked this post by Ashes Sarin that looks at how to build a reactive Spring WebFlux application that talks to reactive Spring Data MongoDB.
- Dan Baskette linked to a really nice project by Brian McClain that sets up the Pivotal serverless platform Project Riff for you .
- Want to use SQL-queries with the Apache Geode in-memory data-grid ? Check out this talk from SpringOne Platform 2017 by Christian Tzolov
- Tristan Perry put together a nice Spring Cloud microservices tutorial .
- I noticed that the good Dr. Syer has a useful example of how an OAuth authorization server could be a client of itself , which it might need to be if the node is also a gateway.
- I love this roundup of the new features in the Java Project Amber .
- This is a cool Spring Boot and Eureka + Feign example.
- It was nice to see Java again take home the top prize for programming languages in 2017, according to this InfoWorld article .
- I loved Victor Grazi’s amazing article on building microservices with Spring Boot and Spring Cloud . This is well worth a read.
- My fellow test-obsesses Spring fans should check out JUnit and Spring Test lead Sam Brannen’s SpringOne Platform 2017 talk on testing with JUnit 5
- Kevin Van Houtte did a nice job in this post Securing your cloud-native microservice architecture in Spring - on the Ordina JWorks blog.
- Hello Jiccup! Check out this Spring Boot integration with Jiccup , a Clojure inspired HTML rendering library.
- In this week’s episode of the Pivotal Insights podcast , Jeff and Dormain are joined by Pivotal Senior Solutions Architect Ben Wilcock for a deep dive into building microservices applications using the command query responsibility segregation, or CQRS, architectural pattern and event sourcing.
- Meunster, Germany! I am looking forward to presenting at your Java User Group on Cloud Native (Reactive) Java on 10 January, 2018!
- The Java Code Geeks’s Abhimanyu Prasad has an amazing post on implementating Spring Cloud for microservices .
- Solingen, Germany! Spring is coming ! I’ll be speaking for an afternoon for this special Codecentric event. Register now!
- Spring community member Michael Simons did a great job introducing how to use Keycloak with Spring Boot 2-based applications .
- I love this interview with “the king of the test automation,” Pivotal’s own Marcin Grzejszczak , about the Spring Cloud Pipelines project.
- Data driven management ensures high efficiency in the healthcare sector
- Check out this talk from Spring Boot ninja Madhura Bhave and Pivotal marketing maestro Pieter Humphrey on Java microservices at scale with Cloud Foundry from the Cloud Foundry Summit Silicon Valley 2017.
- This is another great talk from Cloud Foundry Summit 2017 on windows server containers and Cloud Foundry .